JEGI REPRESENTS SMARTBRIEF IN SALE TO FUTURE
New York, NY, July 30, 2019 – SmartBrief Inc, a US-based digital media publisher of targeted business news and information has been acquired by Future plc (LSE: FUTR), the global platform for specialist media.
JEGI (www.jegi.com), the leading independent investment bank for the global media, information, marketing, software and tech-enabled services sectors, with offices in New York, Boston, London and Sydney, represented SmartBrief in this transaction.
Future is dedicated to building specialist brands and SmartBrief complements their global B2B portfolio with highly relevant and credible newsletter content.
- SmartBrief is a leading US-based digital media publisher of targeted business news and information by industry.
- Leveraging proprietary technology and editorial expertise, SmartBrief delivers relevant industry news in partnership with trade associations, professional societies and corporations.
- SmartBrief owns a database of 5.8m+ subscribers made up of senior executives, thought leaders and industry professionals.
- The acquisition strengthens Future’s B2B market position and diversified revenue streams.
Acquisition highlights & rationale
- SmartBrief, founded in 1999 and based in Washington DC, creates and distributes 250+ digital newsletters, allowing advertisers to target and engage with decision-makers and influencers across multiple sectors including food & travel, business, education, finance, health care, retail, tech, marketing and advertising.
- During 2018 Future extended its successful consumer strategy into B2B through the acquisition of NewBay Media in the US, which enabled Future to access the B2B market with several market-leading titles.
- The acquisition of Smartbrief enhances Future’s B2B reach and also their proprietary technology stack through the addition of automated email marketing.
Zillah Byng-Thorne, CEO of Future, said:
“The acquisition of SmartBrief will substantially boost our presence and market position in the B2B sector and enhance our technology capabilities.”
“SmartBrief is a leading, respected provider of sector-focused newsletters and daily email briefings covering a range of key verticals. The addition of SmartBrief’s must-read information products to our portfolio will further extend the reach of our B2B operations.”
“The acquisition will be earnings enhancing, and we have identified several exciting opportunities to leverage SmartBrief’s proprietary technology in both our B2C and B2B business.”
Serving nearly 6 million senior executives, thought leaders and industry professionals, SmartBrief is the leading digital media publisher of targeted business news and information by industry. By combining technology and editorial expertise, SmartBrief filters thousands of sources daily to deliver the most relevant industry news in partnership with leading trade associations, professional societies, nonprofits and corporate entities. For more information, visit www.smartbrief.com.
Future plc is a global platform business for specialist media with diversified revenue streams. With a global digital network reach of over 203m* monthly users and 52.5m social fans across the portfolio.
The Media division is in high-growth with three complementary revenue streams: eCommerce, events and digital advertising. It operates in a number of sectors including technology, games, music, home interest, hobbies and B2B and its brands including TechRadar, PC Gamer, Tom’s Guide, Homebuilding & Renovating Show, GamesRadar+, The Photography Show, Top Ten Reviews, Live Science, Guitar World, MusicRadar, Space.com, NY TV Week, Creative Planet Network, Tom’s Hardware and Cyclingnews.
The Magazine division focuses on publishing specialist content, with over 80 publications and over 530 bookazines published per year, totaling global circulation of 1.2 million. The Magazine portfolio spans technology, games and entertainment, music, creative and photography, hobbies, home interest and B2B. Its titles include Classic Rock, Guitar Player, FourFourTwo, Homebuilding & Renovating, Digital Camera, Guitarist, How It Works, Total Film, What Hi-Fi?, Broadcasting & Cable, Multichannel News, AV Technology and Music Week. For more information, visit www.futureplc.com.
JEGI has been the leading independent investment bank for the global media, information, marketing, software and tech-enabled services sectors for over 30 years. Headquartered in North America, with offices in New York City and Boston, as well as London and Sydney (through its partnership with CLARITY), JEGI has completed more than 700 high‐profile M&A and financing transactions, serving global corporations; middle‐market and emerging companies; entrepreneurial owners and founders; and private equity and venture capital firms. For more information, visit www.jegi.com.